Friday, November 18, 2011

Only 402 Days Until The Great Gatsby!

When I was in middle school, I had to read The Great Gatsby, then watch the film adaptation. At the time, I was unimpressed, probably because a 13-year-old generally won't find much to admire in melodrama and Mia Farrow. Not to mention the fact that this 1920's period piece was hopelessly and incurably 1970's. Soft focus, big curls and Disco couture were and never will be Deco.


Today, I wait with bated breath for the upcoming Baz Luhrmann adaptation. Sure, a remake is generally never as good as the original, but the fact that Luhrmann is directing and producing makes me certain that I'll love this film for its aesthetic alone.

Photo: Jezebel

Just check out Gemma Ward as Catherine Wilson! Catherine's a bit part in The Great Gatsby, but if Gemma looks this lovely in her role, I can't wait to see how Luhrmann will portray the lavish party scenes. This film is guaranteed to be a Deco-lover's paradise. And it doesn't hurt that Leonardo DiCaprio will be playing Jay Gatsby opposite the precious Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan.

Is it Christmas 2012 yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment