Saturday, November 26, 2011

Calling All Flappers...

I can't live without my iPhone.

It's glued to my hand at all times (excepting, of course, when I'm sewing). I use it for grocery lists, checking in on my Etsy shop, playing Words With Friends, Sudoku and Mah Jongg, taking on-the-fly product photos, and killing time in uncomfortable situations. I keep it in my hand when I'm out and about, even if I'm not using it at that particular moment... in short, I'm obsessed.

When I think of early mobile phones, I can't help but think of the charmingly humungous breadbox phone Zack Morris used in Saved By The Bell. Or the one used by the sinister Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.



But I guess cell phones go back further in history than I'd initially thought! Check out this amazing 1922 Pathé video from How To Be A Retronaut: "World's First Mobile Phone".


So much prettier than a breadbox phone, don't you think? Perhaps less practical, but hey, when has pretty ever truly needed to be pragmatic?

No comments:

Post a Comment