Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Empire State of Mind

I spent the past weekend in New York City, helping my little sister locate her dream wedding dress, shopping, and going out with college chums. It's hard for me to put into words how much I love New York - I sometimes feel like I belong there instead of in San Francisco.

Because autumn is my favorite season, visiting as fall is beginning to crest makes leaving again all the more difficult. I felt like I was in a fog for most of the trip because I really do miss the East Coast so much, especially this time of year. It usually takes me a few days to shake off the resulting nostalgia.

But I have to remember that New York is a tough place. Its residents are more up-front and in-your-face than San Franciscans. Those are admirable qualities, but there have been a ton of occasions when I felt positively trampled by the city and its people. The truth is that I'm too soft for New York, even sartorially.

Anyway, long story short, I had a lovely (if bittersweet) time in the city. My last hour was spent at a lovely store in the Fashion District where I found these gems... Antique ribbon and Deco rhinestones. The perfect bit of sweetness to take home from a very hard-edged city.

It's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment