Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Trunk Show Isn't Complete Without...

...a trunk! (And I have a few of them coming up soon!)

Those of you who follow Honey Cooler Handmade on Facebook and Twitter know that I purchased a shabby, yet stunning 1920's magician's trunk on ebay awhile back. When I opened the big box it arrived in, I realized that along with the gorgeous trunk came a not-so-gorgeous smell, presumably from the ancient glue that was holding the old black silk lining inside.

Left: Trunk exterior, Right: Scraping the old glue

While I was initially bummed about having to tear out the ancient lining and the hours needed to scrape out the smelly, shattering glue, I realized that redoing the interior would allow for an awesome amount of artistic freedom and... PINK PEAU DE SOIE! My hesitation in finishing this project mainly arose from my fear that I'd somehow screw it up, either by snagging the expensive fabric, ruining the trim or grossly mis-measuring. My husband's months-long insistence that this trunk not lay around in pieces on our bedroom floor was the reason for its swift completion this week, and I couldn't be more proud of the results.

Take a peek at some snaps below, and if you want to check this puppy out in person, you can do so at my trunk show next Sunday - details to follow!

The finished product: re-lined in pink peau de soie!

No comments:

Post a Comment