Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Where is My Mind?

It's really hard to take a good thing and re-imagine it into something better. Rarely are adaptations better than (or even as good as) the original. Take Hitchcock's Psycho. The original? Mysterious and engaging. The 1998 remake? Weird. And not in a good way, because as I'm sure Gus Van Sant discovered to his dismay, it's hard to mold Vince Vaughn into anything other than just another buddy movie stereotype.

Our culture is ripe with examples of good things that have been revamped badly. Today though, my friends, I give you a wonderful remake. Actually, two wonderful remakes. Both are of The Pixies' Where Is My Mind, arguably one of the best songs of our generation. The first is a lovely, soulful adaptation by Sunday Girl. The second? Well, you'll see. One will get your eyes welling and the other will have you smiling from ear to ear. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment