Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lost in Translation: A Day at Daiso

Last week, the amazing Tammy George (of PuNk rAwK pUrL fame) and I eschewed our sewing machines and decided to take a field trip to Daiso.

Daiso is the stuff of dreams: an emporium of colorful Japanese imports at ridiculously low prices. It's not quite the size of Michael's or Target, but it's certainly big enough that Tammy and I spent a good hour and a half wandering its endless saccharine aisles. If you're anything like me, the Serramonte Shopping Center seems incredibly distant (both in actual distance and in spirit) from my beloved hipster haven that is San Francisco. But I will say this: Daiso is a gem of squee-inducing design and bad translation. Let the tour begin!


What's the appropriate reaction to receiving a gift bag like this? "I have something to tell you" never seems like a good opener.


Snacks! I picked up some Pocky and Chocorooms for my husband and succeeded in holding myself back from the rainbow of assorted sweets.


This bag might have been among the most expensive things in the store (most items are $1.50), but in all fairness Daiso's copywriter DOES deserve a substantial bonus for making me laugh.


Me too, little bear, me too.


I really want to make eclairs now!


I've never felt the need to buy hors d'oeuvres toothpicks, but there's a first time for everything. The cute colors were giving me cavities!


More impossibly precious toothpicks!


Shoulder pads. Please note the English translation of the unsatisfied, and then satisfied, user. Is "It's good enough" really a selling point?


A cornucopia of food erasers!


Tammy carefully considers some uber-cute bowls.

If you haven't been to Daiso, GO for God's sake! After an hour and a half and a full basket of knick-knacks, I wound up spending around $14. Daiso is to shopping what Stevia is to a sweet tooth. Yummy yummy!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! We have a place similar about 5 minutes away from my house. I could get lost in there for hours on end.

    Plus, the English translations are totally entertaining! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. The English translations are honestly my favorite part... well, besides the cute little sushi making kits. And the stationary. And the snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Honey Cooler Handmade's first blog post! & Yay for Daiso with Honey Cooler Handmade!

    ReplyDelete